Did you know that ALL of the synthetic chemicals that exist today have been invented within the last 100 years? Did you know that prior to World War One, all foods were organic? Did you know that pesticides and herbicides were invented from the leftover chemicals from the before mentioned big war?
Modern technology allow us to travel to the far regions of space to explore, and expand our knowledge about the universe, and the origin of life. Have you ever thought about the fact that the hardware in your cellphone is more advanced than the technology in the computers, that allowed us to send people to the moon? That is awesome. Truly.
Yet, when it comes to health, let alone nutrition, we seem to get more and more confused on what to do, and what not to do. In this article, I will try to take a step back, and look at nutrition from the bigger picture. In the end, I hope the subject will be less confusing for you. This article is based on my personal experience, on how I lost 90 pounds, cured my own depression, and kicked a high daily dose of antidepressive drugs. As a side note, I got into the shape of my life. When I give talks on nutrition, I always emphasize on the fact that being healthy is the easiest thing in the world. I know this statement can be provoking. Especially if you have been on a diet the last 5 years, and still haven’t seen the results you wish for. I hope that you will give me a chance to explain just why I think being healthy is an easy, natural thing.
But first, lets turn back time to about 4.000.000.000 years ago. In the early stages of the universe, protein powders had yet to be invented, and life as we know it today did not exist. The first life on planet earth was tiny single celled organisms. Microbes, bacteria and such. Charles Darwin invented the theory of evolution, and according to that, these single celled organisms slowly, in the course of billions of years, developed into more and more complex beings. Fish turned into monkeys, and the monkeys turned into our forefathers. This is of course a higly simplified version of the theory of evolution, but I hope you get the idea.
Why is this important?
Because the changes in life on planet earth happens ever so slowly. When the environment (the world) changes, life adapts, and changes with it. If life does not adapt to the new conditions, it will not persist. Imagine the “knowledge” that resides in the cells of your body. The human body is the most advanced creation in this universe, but it was not built over night. When you eat a piece of fruit, or a berry, your body knows exactly how to break down and digest it, because humans have been eating fruits and berries for thousands and thousands of years. It’s in your DNA. Think about grains. There is a lot of discussion in the scientific community on how long humans have been consuming grains. Some say about 10.000 years, some say that we have been cultivating crops for hundreds of thousands of years. And still, many people today have a hard time digesting grains.
So what do you think happens in your body when you eat monosodium glutamate? Or propylene glycol? Or sodium fluoride?
Chaos is what happens. Our bodies are simply not able to handle all these synthetic chemicals, and as a result everything from our digestion to our immune system and reproductive systems suffer. How do you expect to build a strong healthy body, when all your internal organs are screaming “Red Alert!” from toxic overload? It can’t.
I know that lots of doctors and scientists tell us that chemicals are harmless, and that nothing happens when we just keep below “safe doses”, but to me it is just plain, simple logic that my body, a living thing, needs to eat other living things. By living things I mean real food. Vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, fruits and of course animals (this article is not about whether or not meat is good for you, that subject will be dealt with in a separate article).
I would like to ask you to think about this for a few seconds:
- We know that medicine primarily is made from synthetic chemicals. We know for a fact that all medicine has side effects. That is not a secret. Your doctor will tell you this, and the pharmaceutical companies will even list all the possible side effects you can expect to have from any given medicine. Why? As a somewhat famous doctor in Denmark once said: “All medicines are poisons. What we want from medicines is the body’s reaction to that poison. Sometimes the body’s reaction to the toxin will relieve the symptoms. That is how medicine works”. I am not trying to say that medicine is a bad thing. Medicine saves lives; there can be no doubt about it. There is a right time and place for everything, also for medicine. The point is, that the manufacturers of medicine admit that medicine has side effects.
- We know that Big Food businesses use a whole myriad of different synthetic chemicals in the foods they manufacture. Conservation agents, taste enhancers, artificial colors, synthetic aromas and much much more. So we can conclude that the food industry also uses a lot of synthethic chemicals. But here’s when it gets tricky. While medical science admits that their kind of chemicals are strong stuff, somehow ALL of the chemicals used in our food supply are 100 % safe. Somehow.
So here’s a quick question for you; why don’t the Big Food Business begin to make 100 % safe medicines?!
Remember how the tobacco industry kept telling us that smoking was perfectly safe? Why did they do that? Because they made a lot of money. I’m not trying to be cynical or anything, but the fact is that food is a pretty big business, and lots of money are made from selling crappy chemical foods. They are cheap to produce, and they will last forever, or until sold. Thousands of studies link various types of disease to various types of additives in our foods, so you only have to open scholar.google.com to start doing your own research. Just don’t expect the company who profit from selling you the product, to tell you to stop giving them your money. Let’s be real about it.
So what is the solution? How did I manage to loose 90 pounds without going to the gym? How did I get into the shape of my life, and how do I after 7 years of experimenting still keep to improve my health on a daily basis?
Ladies and gentlemen:
Eat… Real… Food…
If you can’t pick it, grow it or kill it – don’t eat it.
If you are overweight, it is probably because your digestion has been destroyed by chemicals.
If you can’t seem to get any bigger, even though you work out every day, it is probably because your body is to busy fighting inflammation, to start building muscle.
If you feel tired, anxious or maybe even downright fatigued, it is probably because your body is screaming for real foods and nutrients, and because it can’t stand more synthetic chemicals.
If you ask me, health in the modern world is not as much about what you should eat. It’s more about what you should stop eating. Think about it. Your body is the most amazing thing in the entire universe. It really does not need that much attention to be strong and healthy. You just need to eat the right foods, and of course to stop poisoning yourself with synthetic crap. If you do so, you will start to feel better, MUCH better, in a matter of a few weeks. I promise you that.
As mentioned before, I have been experimenting with different diets for about 7 years. I have tried the paleo, vegetarian, vegan, fruitarian, HFLC and various experimental diets I “invented” myself. Which one is the best?
Most of them…
I’ve spend years getting in tune with my body, so I can feel when something is good for me, and when something is not. I say that because I used to live from sodas and junk food, and back then I could not feel anything. Have you ever asked yourself how the foods you eat, makes you feel? I had not.
Health is the most natural thing in the universe. Life wants to evolve, and your body wants to be as strong and healthy as possible. All it takes to get started is to follow these steps. The rest you will figure out when you just start to listen to your body:
- Eat real food. If you can’t make it yourself, don’t buy it. I am not saying that you should make everything yourself, but take a look at the ingredients on the back of the products you are looking at. If you can’t make the same thing at home without a lab and a nuclear reactor. Don’t eat it. When it comes to meat, only eat organic. I grew up on a conventional dairy farm (in Denmark we have some of the highest standards for animal health in the world), and I never eat non-organic meat. Nor do I ever drink milk of any kind. Buy less meat, and get the best quality you can get, and prepare to enjoy meat as it is supposed to taste!
- Eat more vegetables. You need to fill your body with vitamins, fibers and antioxidants. Vegetables are, without any doubt, wonderful sources for this. Most people value meat over vegetables in terms of nutrition, but it should be the opposite. Meat has very little nutrition, besides protein, whereas vegetables contain loads of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and amino acids (that’s why serious vegans are strong as gorillas).
- Eat a varied diet. You need fats, carbs and proteins. Brocolli is healthy. Brown rice is healthy. Nuts and seeds are healthy. But if that is all you eat every day, it’s not healthy anymore. You need many different vitamins and minerals, and they are all easy to get if you just remember to vary your diet. When I go to the grocery store I buy 3-5 different vegetables, some sort of carbs, be that lentils, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes or whatever. I eat it, and when I go shopping the next time, I buy 3-5 other vegetables that I didn’t get the last time. See how easy it is? Just make sure to get a lot of different kinds of vegetables, carbohydrates and so on. It also makes dinner a lot more exiting to the pallet.
- Use spices. We tend to think of spices as a source of flavor and color. Actually spices are all very high in micronutrients. Cayenne, turmeric, oregano, basil, thyme and so on (organic of course) are some of the healthiest stuff available to you in the store. And by the way – not many of your friends are using them, so buy them all, and you will soon be harvesting praise for your almost magical cooking skills.
- Use your body. Your body is not built for 7 crossfit sessions pr. week. Ask your doctor. But you need to move. Why? Because movement helps your lymphatic system to remove waste products, toxins and old stuff from your system. You can have the healthiest diet in the world – if you lie around in bed all day, your body wont be healthy, as it cannot clean itself effectively without movement.
- Rest and relax. If you eat right, take a long walk every day, maybe do some running once in a while – your body will be happy. You will be lean and fit without even going to the gym. If you do go to the gym, your restitution will be faster, and so will your gains. Just don’t overdo it. Don’t work out hard. Work out smart! Let thy new mantra be; “No brains – No gains!” explanation.
- Be happy. The most important thing in life is to feel joy (I believe). What would you do every day if money did not exist? If you don’t does it already, then why don’t you? Life is not about calculating protein, being sexy or going to the gym 7 times pr. week to gain through pain. Life is, for me at least, about being happy, and being able to grow. I take care of my body, and I take care of my diet, because it makes me feel good. I like the taste of sugar, but I don’t like how it makes me feel. How do you feel? How would you like to feel? I think it is very, very important for people to discover their passion(s), and to allow them selves to dive into them. It can take some time, but its fun to try new things, so if you can’t immediately, without thinking, list 3-5 things that you love to do – go ahead and figure it out.
Usually when I give talks on nutrition, I talk for 120 minutes non stop, explaining in every detail how carbs, fats and proteins work, how to compose the perfect meal and how the various foods are broken down and absorbed in the body. But I have realized that it’s not necessary to know all these things. You just need to now that you can’t handle the toxic overload of the modern society. So if you want to loose weight, just stop eating stuff made in factories, start walking some more, eat real food, and you will see the results almost immediately. If you want to gain muscle, throw out all your powders and pills, and make room for some real food. Protein powder is a marketing scam, which is why doctors always have been saying: “it is not necessary, not even for Olympian athletes.”
You deserve to be as healthy and as happy as you possibly can be. Accept the fact that health is a natural thing, and if you would just begin to live a natural life, you cannot avoid becoming healthy. Eat from nature, not from science and you will feel just as energetic as when you were a child. The human body is amazing, but it cannot function without proper care. So take care of yourself – be healthy, and be happy!
I am not trying to convince you that I am an expert in general health. This worked for me, a lot of clients, friends and family. But only you will know if it will work for you. You are the only one who can ever know if something is good or bad for you. Stop reading, and start feeling.
If you want to learn about detoxing, stay tuned for the next article! It’s just as easy.
Best regards from Jonas and of course all of the team at CBDforme.eu
About the author: Jonas is a certified nutritionist, public speaker, independent health researcher, yoga teacher, business developer and entrepreneur. Prior to that he lost 90 pounds, got into the shape of his life – and most importantly, refunds his joy for life. “Actually I don’t think health, vegetables and so on, is the most interesting stuff I can think of. However, I feel better, more energetic and creative when I take care of my body. Health is not a true passion for me. Life is. Health is a tool through which I feel more present in life. More happy! The better I take care of my body, the more fully I can experience life, love, loss and all the other things. (..and of course my businesses run smoother.)” In the following months I will be writing a series of articles about how you can take care of your body. If you would like to turn your life around, and learn how to be healthy – this is the place.
Follow CBDforme.eu for more articles of health, happiness and hemp oil.